In the social media era, the photo-sharing app Instagram is a smartphone app with a social community built behind it for sharing pictures. Instagram is designed to capitalize on the ever-improving technology crossover between smartphones and photography.
Hubspot defines Instagram as an entirely visual platform. Unlike Facebook, which relies on text and images, Instagram’s only purpose is to enable users to share photos or videos with your audiences.
Many brands use Instagram to build an online presence and reach the right group of the target audience. Here are a few reasons as to why you can use Instagram for your brand.
According to the stats by Wordtracker
- Instagram is the fastest growing social media platform in the world at present.
- It has over a billion users worldwide.
- Over 60% of users log in daily, making the platform second only to Facebook in terms of engagement.
- The platform is estimated to receive over 100 million new image uploads each day.
- Users engage via comments or likes, and the platform produces over 10,000 engagements every second.
- Instagram has a large number of users who are tech-savvy millennial audiences (18-30).
- Health, Beauty, and Fashion are dominant categories within Instagram. Travel and food always top the list.
The next question is how to choose a niche?
- Choose a niche that you are interested in and have passion for.
- Always have some idea of how you can make money from that account.
- Choose a theme and a sub-theme. For example, if you are planning to start a page on digital marketing, you can focus on following one color scheme, one design, and content templates from the start.
- Choose the niche that does well on Instagram.
Tip: The niche that does well on Instagram includes: Fashion, Food, Modelling, and Art. Though these are the niche which do well on Instagram, you can always choose niche of your choice.
The next step is choosing a username.
Things to remember while choosing a username.
- Do not use underscore (_) in the name.
- Do not copy another person’s username or make use of familiar usernames.
- Do not use lengthy usernames. Make use of names that are easy to remember.
Once you have finalized the niche, choose a username, the next step is to prepare a perfect bio for your Instagram page.
Things to remember while preparing a perfect bio.
- The bio should contain 150 characters of text.
- The bio should convey the brand identity.
- See what your competitors are doing.
- Write a compelling CTA. For example: Make use of CTAs like “Visit our site” “Check out our blogs” and much more.
- Make use of emojis.
After adding a bio, you need a logo for your account. The logo should be easy to remember and should relate to the brand. You can either make the logo all by yourself or outsource it to a professional logo designer.
Tip: If you choose to design the logo all by yourself, you can make use of hatchful.shopify.com.
If you choose to outsource it, you can use fiverr.com.
Should I use a public or a private account?
I would recommend you use a public account when you are starting. You can change it to a private account after you have reached 10,000+ followers.
I hope this blog helped you understand the basics, need, and how to set up your Instagram account.
Stay tuned for more blogs on Instagram
Thank you for reading.